1 ) Introduction & prerequisite

Introduction

Hi, I quickly knocked up a not so elegant way of my kids asking Google Home asking where I am and it replies with my location and distance away. It came about when I got home the other day and they said they'd asked it where I was and it couldn't give them an answer.

This method is not easy and not for the faint hearted. It's something I knocked up quickly and should be fairly easy to follow.

The main downsides are:

  • It will be redundant if Google allow us to hook into their pre-existing Location Sharing or Life 360 finally get their app working with Google Home and not just Alexa
  • It needs a computer to always be on (PC/Mac/Linux/Pi)
  • It's not free, it uses 2 paid for Android apps, luckily for me I'd already bought them, they are around £6 in total, something that may put you off instantly, however, they are brilliant apps and can be used for so much more than just this.


Prerequisite

You need to have a PC, Mac, linux PC or a Pi running Home Assistant permanently turned on and connected to the internet. Again, this is something I already had. I've written up how to set this up for Windows in the past, here.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

5) Website

4) IFTTT part 1

2) Get free webspace